In my last blog post I talked about a house that dropped into our price range and I knew we should go see it right away.

This house was bigger than all the other houses we had already seen. The rooms were all a great size. The basement, although ugly and in major need of updates, wasn’t as bad as it looked in the pictures. It had a nice big yard and already had a garden which I was hoping to have in my future house. I was happy with this house and told my boyfriend we should put in an offer.

That night we kept going back and forth over the pros and cons. It was slightly over our budget, but it was huge. The basement was going to be a lot of work, but the upstairs was done and we could slowly work on updates as we had time and money. The basement has a strange layout and we weren’t sure how to make it into something nice, but maybe it wasn’t as bad as we thought. The memories of what it looked like was already fading.

We knew that other people had been in for viewings that day and were worried that someone else would put in an offer and take it away from us. After lots of thinking, we decided to just go for it and see what happens.

We put in an offer then next day and they came back with a counter offer that was at the very top of our budget. We decided to accept the counter because we did not want someone else to come in a steal it away from us.

We got our mortgage approved and set up a home inspection. We were really hoping the inspection went well and there weren’t any surprises. It turns out, it was a really great house! The inspector found some minor issues, but they were all things that we should be able to fix on our own. He would even tell us how to fix it, what products we should by, and gave us maintenance tips as we walked through the house.

The current owner of the house was home during both our visits to the house. He told us the reason he had to sell, how he and his wife had the house built for them, and how much he has loved living there. He offered to leave us his gardening tools, extra paint, and he asked if we wanted some of his old furniture as well.

Now we are just playing the waiting game. He get to pick up the keys to our new house on August 25 and we cannot wait to get everything moved in.

We have been wanting to buy a house for a long time now. About 5 or 6 years ago we did a house search but the houses in our price range were just not the right size for us.

Fast forward to this year, and we are really starting to outgrow our townhouse rental. Having a baby has really filled the place up and we have run out of room.

Due to the pandemic, housing prices have fallen and we have been using that to our advantage. We have been casually been looking at houses online for a while. Last year my boyfriend had applied for a mortgage pre-approval but hadn’t been working for his company that long, and I was on maternity leave. So he didn’t qualify for the amount we wanted.

At the beginning of June this year we applied together and were approved for our amount. He qualified on him income alone which is great since I am soon to be layed off.

About two weeks after getting the pre-approval I messaged a realtor I have been following on Instagram for a few years now to see if she would help us find a house.

We kept seeing houses pop up that we were interested in but we would overthink things and by the time we asked to go see the place it would already be pending sale. I think this happened at least 4 times.

At the beginning of July we finally found one that looked nice online and asked if we could see it right away. But once we got there, it turned out to be a lot smaller than we thought. My boyfriend wanted to put an offer on it, but I think he was just anxious to get the house shopping over with. We were starting to worry that all the houses in our price range were going to be smaller than we wanted.

A couple days later I made a list of some I had my eye on for the last month that hadn’t sold yet and told my boyfriend we should go see them, if nothing else than to have something to compare the first one with.

We set up an appointment to see three houses but on the morning we were supposed to go, our realtor had a family emergency and was unable to join us. Thankfully she sent her colleague to come with us and we really liked her. She would tell us all the good and bad parts about the houses. She would tell us why she would or would not buy the house we were looking at.

We really liked the first house we went to. So much so that we were considering putting in an offer. But I still thought the bedrooms were a little small and there was a large amount of rainwater sitting in the back yard which I knew would be a problem trying to fix.

The other two houses we went to that day were not great. Again, they did not live up to the expectations that were set from their online profiles.

We went home and thought a lot about that first house. But that night another house just dropped their price bringing it into our price range. I told my boyfriend that we should try and go see that one as soon as possible and set up another viewing for the next day after work.